Many things have to be considered, when you select a self storage facility. Location, rent and security are top three decisive factors, but there are also others like do you need a climate-controlled or non-climate controlled storage unit. For this, first determine the answers to the following questions
- What items are to be stored?
- How long will they be stored?
- Is the storage facility located in regions experiencing extreme temperatures?
What is non climate-controlled storage unit?
In non-climate-controlled storage units, there is no heater or air-condition used to maintain the internal temperature. A plethora of things can be stored safely with or without special precautions. These units are less expensive and perfectly suited for things that you store in attic or basement or seasonal tools.
Fluctuation in temperature can damage your personal belongings, if they are stored for a long time in the traditional outdoor storage unit. You may desire to consider leasing climate controlled storage units for temperature sensitive items.
What is climate-controlled storage unit?
It is a feature that keeps the indoor storage unit temperature maintained between 55° to 85° all the year round. In addition, the humidity level is also maintained consistently. Basically, it is an air conditioner, heater, humidifier, and dehumidifier.
Items that need to be stored in climate controlled units
- Leather furniture – is sensitive to hot and cold swings. Temperature control is essential to safeguard the expensive leather items. If not stored in controlled unit, the leather will be susceptible to moisture. It can discolor the furniture as well as cause mildew.
- Household appliances – refrigerators, washers & dryers, microwaves, ovens and dishwashers need climate controlled storage units in regions experiencing extreme temperature fluctuation. This helps to protect mechanical and electronic parts from rust and crack that can cause permanent damage. Even if the appliances are cleaned and dried before storing in climate control units help in stopping the buildup of mold and mildew in or on the appliances.
- Special collections – The aim of collecting stamps, comics, and coins is to preserve them for years.
- Coins exposed to humidity start oxidation and ruin the metals. Copper and silver get tarnished.
- Stamps will stick and curl, when exposed to humid and high temperature. It can depreciate the value of your stamp collection.
- Comics are old and rare, so they cannot handle the moisture.
- Wine aging can accelerate and change its taste. Investors have invested a lot of money and time in developing their wine collection, which can get ruined because of improper storage.
- Art work – If your artwork is stored in diameter tubes or in file cabinets, then it is vital to maintain the temperature in the storage unit.
- Clothing – You don’t want mold and mildew find their way through your sweaters, wedding gown or summer clothes, especially if they sit unattended for a couple of months or years. Climate control is the best option to keep fabrics dry.
Business documents, photos, electronic and more are some other sensitive items that need climate control. For more information you can visit www.smartlockstorage.com